Man surrenders to police after standoff

August 02, 1998

Man surrenders to policeBy MARLO BARNHART and RICHARD F. BELISLE / Staff Writers

photo: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer [enlarge]

The quiet of a neighborhood in Hagerstown's West End was shattered Friday afternoon as police converged on a house where an armed man had barricaded himself after a domestic dispute that sent a woman to the hospital.

Timothy W. Corbiser, 25, of 86 Park Ave., walked out of his home at 2:50 p.m. and surrendered to nearly a dozen uniformed city and county police officers who minutes earlier had heard a shot fired inside the house.

"One shot was fired into the floor from a second-story room," said Sgt. Jeff Morgan.

Corbiser was taken to Washington County Hospital by Community Rescue Service ambulance personnel for treatment of an overdose of medicine, police said.


City Police Sgt. C. Wright said three guns were found in the house, including two long guns and a 9 mm pistol that is believed to be the weapon that was fired inside the house.

A family member was in the house with Corbiser trying to calm him down when police arrived, Wright said.

The incident began around 1:38 p.m. when Corbiser allegedly assaulted Stacey Marie Miller, 22, by throwing a glass at her, hitting her in the head, according to her mother.

Miller told Washington County Hospital personnel that she had been assaulted.

Not sure about the presence of weapons, officers were cordoning off the area when a shot was heard from inside the house, Morgan said.

Corbiser was talked into coming out by the unidentified relative, police said. He came through the door with his hands up followed by the family member as Cpl. Dennis W. Mummert and Deputy First Class Robert L. Waugh of the Washington County Sheriff's Department, and Hagerstown City Police Officer Tammy Miller trained their weapons on him.

He was ordered to the ground and handcuffed, police said.

Wright said a child also was in the house at the time.

Minutes after the ambulance pulled away, Miller returned home with her mother and two small children. She stood on the porch and cried.

Miller's mother, who wouldn't give her name, said Corbiser threw a glass and hit Miller in the head.

Neither Miller nor her mother would comment.

Neighbor Bonnie Beachley said she watched the drama unfold from her porch at 1202 W. Washington St. a block away.

"We didn't hear or see anything until the police came and blocked off the street," Beachley said.

She said she didn't know much about her neighbors except that she believes they rent that house and she often sees children out playing there.

Across the street from the house, Gordon Cox had been visiting his mother at 89 Park Ave. when the incident began to unfold.

"I've got it all on videotape," Cox said. "I didn't hear the shot fired but my mom did."

The Herald-Mail Articles