Pa. man sentenced in beating case

July 24, 1998|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Chambersburg man was sentenced Wednesday to one year in Franklin County Prison and 10 years on probation for beating a man who had taken the attacker's girlfriend to lunch.

"When two people decide to fight the loser goes to the hospital and the winner goes to jail," President Judge John Walker told Jeremy Allen Mayer, 20, of 127 Lincoln Way West. Walker quickly added that the victim, Michael Edward Beard of Greencastle, Pa., had not done anything to provoke the fight.

"He went to lunch with your girlfriend. He didn't kidnap her and take her to lunch," Walker said of the assault, which occurred on Oct. 19, 1997, outside Wal-Mart in Guilford Township.

According to Pennsylvania State Police records, Beard and Mayer's girlfriend were coming back from lunch when Mayer attacked Beard outside the store.


"You sucker-punched a guy and then continued to hit him," Walker said. He called it "a vicious attack on an innocent person."

According to the pre-sentence report, Beard suffered numerous facial fractures from being punched and kicked by Mayer. His injuries required extensive reconstructive plastic surgery.

The judge recalled being in fights as a youth, but "I was never on the losing side where I had plates in my face."

Mayer, whom court records listed as 6 feet tall and 250 pounds, was ordered to pay $14,870.56 in restitution to Beard's insurance company.

Court records said Mayer pleaded guilty to aggravated assault on May 11.

In another case, Walker postponed sentencing of Robert N. Rapp until Aug. 19 to determine what to do with him.

Rapp, 48, of 173 S. Main St., Chambersburg, pleaded guilty but mentally ill to a charge of aggravated assault on June 24. A charge of attempted murder was dismissed in exchange for the plea agreement.

"With your mental problems and your age, that would be a really tough situation," Walker said of a possible state prison sentence of more than four years.

Walker said sentencing guidelines require a sentence that would not allow Rapp to serve his time at the county prison. He said he wanted to make sure Rapp will go to a prison that can provide proper care.

Rapp repeatedly stabbed Sean Murray of Chambersburg, in a restroom at the Washington House Restaurant & Bar, 204 Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg on June 17, 1997.

"I don't know what happened in the restroom of the Washington House, but you got a knife and stabbed Mr. Murray about 10 times. He damn near lost his life," Walker said to Rapp.

The Herald-Mail Articles