Councilwoman's resignation not accepted

July 21, 1998|By CLYDE FORD

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. - Harpers Ferry Mayor Walton "Kip" Stowell would like Annette Hale to return to the council seat she resigned from earlier this month.

"We've not accepted her resignation as such. We hope she would come back," Stowell said.

The Harpers Ferry Town Council met Monday night with Hale, who resigned July 8, saying she did not believe the town properly handled the dismissal of a Harpers Ferry police officer.

"She's been a good council member. We're holding it open. It's her decision to make," Stowell said.

Hale declined to comment about whether she plans to return to the Town Council.

She said she has spoken to several other council members since her resignation. She said she remains close friends with them and the mayor, but did not know he wanted her to return.

"I have had no communication from the mayor," Hale said.

Hale said she was upset with the way town officials handled the firing of Harpers Ferry police officer Kevin Alden, who appealed his case to the Harpers Ferry Civil Service Commission.


Among the reasons listed by town officials for his dismissal was failure to turn in his reports in a timely fashion and failure to turn in accurate reports.

Hale said she sat through 14 hours of testimony during the commission hearings in June and did not believe the case merited his dismissal.

"I feel Patrolman Alden is being railroaded and I didn't want to be a party to that. I didn't want the town to think the entire council was behind it," Hale said.

The commission is ex-pected to rule on his case by Friday.

Hale said the Town Council has not been kept well-informed about Alden's case.

"I don't think you should just do this to somebody," Hale said.

Hale, a two-term council member, said she had no other disagreements with the mayor or the council.

"I think it was a good, hard-working council and a mayor with very good intentions," Hale said. "It's a very cohesive council. My resignation was a simple, single-issue resignation," she said.

Stowell said no decision will be made until the Aug. 10 meeting. He said he did not know what steps would be taken to fill the vacancy.

The Herald-Mail Articles