3 charged in nightclub brawl

July 14, 1998|By RICHARD F. BELISLE, Waynesboro

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Three teenagers were charged after a disturbance early Sunday at Extremes teenage nightclub that involved a large number of juveniles, according to the Waynesboro Police Department.

Police arrived at the teen hangout at 406 E. Main St. at 1:38 a.m.

Juveniles were seen on the sidewalk and in the parking lot yelling and milling around, police said. Two young men were fighting, police said.

Mark Hoffman, owner of the club, said the fight started on the dance floor when two girls got into a shoving match and their boyfriends stepped in to help. The melee continued outside after the participants were ordered to leave, Hoffman said. He said he called the police.

When police tried to break up the fight, one of the youths struck an officer. Police said he was 17 and came from Hagerstown. He was put into a cruiser, but was let out by friends, police said.


He was taken back into custody and charged with disorderly conduct and harassment, police said.

A 16-year-old girl was yelling profanities at police. She ran away and was picked up a short while later and charged with criminal mischief and disorderly conduct, according to police. She spit in officers' faces and kicked out the rear door window of a cruiser, police said.

Another girl, 17, was charged with disorderly conduct, police said.

All those charged were released to the custody of their parents, police said.

Extremes has been the scene of fights in the past. Police were called in August of 1996 and again in May 1997, according to Hoffman.

Hoffman said he is changing the club's policy after this weekend's incident. No one will be allowed to come in after 12:30 a.m. on dance nights. Also, anyone who leaves after that time will not be allowed back in.

"From now on, no one gets in the door after 12:30," he said. "It's usually those who come in after that who cause the problems."

Closing time is 2 a.m., he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles