Advertisement

Church Street duplex damaged in fire

July 05, 1998

Hagerstown firefighters responded to a call of a house fire Saturday night at a duplex at 442-444 W. Church St., officials said.

Crystal Rocco, who lives next door, said she saw fire blowing out a window in the house.

"Thank goodness it wasn't windy, or it would have all went," said Rocco.

Firefighters received the call about 9 p.m. and were able to get the blaze under control in about 10 minutes, said John M. Hersh, assistant fire marshal for the Hagerstown Fire Department.

No one was inside the duplex during the fire, Hersh said.

Hersh could not provide more information about the fire.

A neighbor said an outdoor candle had been burning unattended on a porch of the house.

Heavy smoke could be seen rising out of the building as of 10 p.m. and the rear of the home was heavily charred.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|