Advertisement

Duplex fire caused by lighter

June 21, 1998

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A child playing with a lighter set a bed on fire, causing an estimated $30,000 damage to a Martinsburg duplex Sunday, according to fire officials.

The fire started shortly before 1 p.m. in a bedroom on the second floor of 101 N. Kentucky Ave., said Capt. Brad Waldeck of the Martinsburg Fire Department.

No one was hurt in the fire, which was contained to the home's rear bedroom and back porch, Waldeck said.

It is unsure which of the two young children living at the home set the fire, he said.

Their mother, Valerie Hicks, tried to put out the fire but gave up after the extinguisher wouldn't work correctly, Waldeck said.

The fire was fed by air from the back porch, he said. It caused smoke damage throughout the second floor and in the attic, Waldeck said.

Advertisement

The first floor suffered water damage, he said. The attached home at 103 N. Kentucky Ave. had some smoke damage, Waldeck said.

The duplex is owned by Jill Bishop, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|