Sprinkler damages city building

June 03, 1998|By JULIE E. GREENE

The first block of East Washington Street was closed for at least an hour Tuesday night after a child set off a sprinkler system in an apartment building, a fire official said.

The street was reopened at 10 p.m., fire officials said.

A child standing on a bunkbed and swinging a toy hit the bulb on a sprinkler head in a fourth-floor apartment, causing water to seep to the floors below, said Battalion Chief Ron Horn of the Hagerstown Fire Department.

The water seeped through apartments and CW Travel, a travel agency owned by Mike Pishvaian at 31 E. Washington St.

Pishvaian could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Water only seeped through the east side of the five-story building at 29-33 E. Washington St. The travel agency takes up the entire first floor.

Horn said he did not have a damage estimate.

Firefighters covered computers and desks in the travel agency office and used water vacuums to suck water out of the carpeting.


The first block of East Washington Street was closed at about 8:45 p.m. because fire trucks were parked in the street as crews cleaned up the mess and reset the fire alarm system in the building.

Horn said the sprinkler system normally goes off when heat from a fire bursts a bulb on the tip of the sprinkler head, which contains liquid.

The Herald-Mail Articles