Bowers gavels first meeting in Smithsburg

June 03, 1998|By LISA GRAYBEAL

by Joe Crocetta / staff photographer

see enlargement

Mayor Bowers

SMITHSBURG - A resignation and an anonymous letter were the only negative issues that came before Smithsburg's new mayor and Town Council, who promised at the end of Tuesday's meeting that they would move on and work together.

"I hope we can accept the fact that the election is over and that we're all here for the betterment of the town," said new Councilman Charles Slick.

Attended by about 25 people, including town commission representatives and three Boy Scouts who were there to earn a merit badge requirement, Tuesday's two-hour meeting was the first regular monthly meeting conducted by newly elected Mayor Thomas Bowers.


Two new council members, Slick and Michael Rohrer, also were present.

In last month's election, Bowers beat former Mayor Mildred "Mickey" Myers, who had fired him from his job as the town's police chief.

Myers was on vacation and therefore did not attend the meeting for a traditional passing of the gavel. A letter she had written, which was read out loud, expressed congratulations to the winners of the past election and thanks to everyone who supported her.

"I leave the position of mayor knowing that I have accomplished much of the dreams and goals I had for Smithsburg," the letter said.

True to his word, Smithsburg's Public Works Director Frederick Y. Hartley submitted his resignation, effective July 5, in a letter read by Councilman Thomas Hornbecker at the meeting.

In the letter, Hartley said he made his opinion known during the election and has no choice but to resign. He said he would not work for a mayor who is suing the town.

Bowers filed suit after he was fired from the police chief's job.

"To me this is ludicrous and I don't want to work in this type of environment," the letter stated.

The four council members denounced an anonymously written letter that called for the resignation of the two incumbent councilmen.

"I'm here for another two years and I don't intend to go anywhere," Hornbecker said, to applause from the crowd.

The Herald-Mail Articles