Advertisement

Shippensburg University to hire 3 more officers

May 22, 1998

SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - A federal Justice Department grant will allow Shippensburg University to hire three additional police officers who will focus on crime prevention on campus and work with off-campus students on safety issues.

The university is the recipient of an estimated $224,346 grant from the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. The three-year Universal Hiring Program grant will provide funds to hire three officers. During the three years, the federal share will be 75 percent of the estimated cost, while the university will pay the remaining 25 percent.

Herbert H. Bowers, university director of public safety, said the hiring will allow the university's police force to continue its crime prevention and enforcement efforts, and to start new programs for students on and off campus. The funds will enhance residence hall surveillance, increase foot patrols and increase student/community interaction, he said.

Bowers applied for the grant to enable his department to offer the additional services as well as to bolster his current 14-member staff. University police are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week and serve a campus community totaling about 7,500.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|