Pair indicted on assault charges

May 21, 1998|By AMY WALLAUER

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A man and woman have been indicted on sexual assault charges in a 1997 attack in which the victim was threatened with a weapon and bitten on the shoulder.

The indictments were handed down Wednesday by a grand jury in Berkeley County Circuit Court.

Kelly Moreland, age and address unavailable, and Charles E. Redman, 29, address unavailable, were indicted in connection with an Oct. 3, 1997, assault in an East Liberty Street home.

Moreland and Redman are charged with first-degree sexual assault and burglary. Redman also has been charged with first-degree sexual assault and two counts of second-degree sexual assault in connection with the incident.

According to court records, the victim left a West Martin Street home at about 2 a.m. with a man and woman she knew, who were dating.


The victim told Martinsburg City Police the trio went to 250 E. Liberty St., where the man broke a window to gain entry, according to court records. Once inside, she went upstairs to use the bathroom and the man offered to show her where it was, records show.

She told police that he led her to a bedroom and then forced himself on her, records show.

When the man's girlfriend went upstairs and saw what was happening, the man ordered her to take her clothes off as well, the complaint said.

The man continued to assault the woman while his girlfriend performed sex acts on him, reports said.

When the victim tried to fight the man off, she was threatened with a small blade known as a "box opener," according to the criminal complaint. The man also bit her on the shoulder, court records said.

Also indicted Wednesday was a Martinsburg man charged in the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl.

Gary Kramer, 42, of 527 Faulkner Ave., is charged with four counts of second-degree sexual assault and two counts of first-degree sexual abuse.

According to the criminal complaint, the girl was walking home at about 10:30 p.m. Nov. 22, 1997, when a man grabbed her and pulled her through a yard on West Virginia Avenue.

The girl told police the man put one hand on her mouth and the other around her neck, telling her he would kill her if she screamed.

The girl was assaulted, then taken to a second yard and assaulted again, according to the criminal complaint.

The man then shoved her to the ground and ran, the complaint said.

The girl's boyfriend, who was looking for her, saw the man running away and chased after him, according to the complaint. The girl's boyfriend caught up with the man in front of 501 Maryland Ave. and held him until police arrived, the complaint said.

The Herald-Mail Articles