Advertisement

Fire fought at Citicorp site

April 23, 1998

No one was hurt when a small acetylene tank caught fire shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday in a portion of the Citicorp Credit Services Inc. day-care center still under construction, officials said.

Workers wet the walls down, preventing them from catching fire, said Lt. Ian Swisher with Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co.

Firefighters removed the acetylene tank from the building to allow the remaining gas to burn off in the parking lot, Swisher said.

A safety feature on the tank prevented it from blowing up when the gas caught on fire from a soldering torch, he said.

Swisher said had the roughly 5-pound acetylene bottle exploded, the work crew could have been injured and the building's interior damaged.

Advertisement

The bottle caught fire when a faulty hose blew off as a crew member was soldering a water line, said Dean Kretzer, crew chief for Beaver Mechanical Contractors Inc. of Hagerstown.

Also responding were firefighters from Hagerstown.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|