Advertisement

6 sent to hospital for gas poisoning

April 08, 1998

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Six people were taken to Chambersburg Hospital Wednesday night after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by an apparent furnace malfunction, according to the Chambersburg Fire Department.

All the victims were still waiting to be treated late Wednesday night, according to Chambersburg Fire Department Lt. Clyde Thomas. He said he did not have the names of the victims, but all were alive.

"The owner had called 911 for a seizure patient," Rice said of the incident at 136 S. Second St. The call came in at about 9:30 p.m. and when ambulance personnel arrived, they discovered the patient and others in the two-story brick house were suffering symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lt. Stacy Ingram said the source of the poisonous gas was traced to the furnace, but did not know what caused the house to fill with fumes.

Advertisement

Ambulances from Chambersburg, Letterkenny Army Depot and the Pleasant Hall Volunteer Fire Co. took the victims to the hospital.

Firefighters were going through the house wearing breathing gear and taking gas readings. All the windows were opened and a portable fan was running on the porch to try and air out the house.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|