Fire damages home
An fire early Sunday forced a Hagerstown-area family out of its home, according to the state fire marshal's office.
Edward and Kristy Jo Working, of 13920 Sunrise Drive, were awakened by their smoke detector shortly before 1:20 a.m., Deputy Chief Fire Marshal Allen Ward said.
A 27-year-old firefighter from the Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co. was taken to Washington County Hospital for chest pains, Ward said. He was treated and released.
Ward said the single-story brick rancher caught fire because of a faulty chimney flue. The fire ignited the walls in the living room and spread down to the basement, Ward said.