ANNAPOLIS - A Maryland House of Delegates panel voted Wednesday to keep funding for construction of a new Washington County District Court building in next year's state budget.
The state Senate previously had approved $5.3 million for the courthouse project so construction could begin a year from now.
Earlier this week, some House leaders pushed to have the appropriation cut to $940,000 for the budget year that starts July 1. That would have paid for demolition and other site preparation work.
Del. Sue Hecht, D-Frederick/Washington, said that might have been fine because the bulk of the courthouse work is scheduled to be done after July 1, 1999.
But Hecht said there were no guarantees that the project would be funded in future years.
"Then we were in a scary place," Hecht said.
Appropriations Chairman Howard P. Rawlings, D-Baltimore, wrote Hecht a letter confirming that splitting the funding in two years "would potentially impact the timely completion of the much-needed courthouse project."