Police Log

March 25, 1998

Police Log

U.S. 15 closed after armed men spotted

FREDERICK, Md. - Maryland State Police temporarily shut down U.S. 15 Tuesday afternoon while state troopers questioned two men walking south on the highway who were dressed in camouflage and reportedly carrying an M-16 rifle and a hand grenade, according to police.

Police received about three cellular telephone calls around 12:30 p.m. made by drivers who had passed the men walking on the road, police said.

Police found out the men are war veterans who had received permission from the Maryland State Highway Administration to walk from Pennsylvania to the National Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C., police said.


The rifle and grenade are for ceremonial purposes only, police said.

Inmate escapes from prison camp

CUMBERLAND, Md. - Police are still on the lookout for an inmate who escaped from the minimum security Federal Prison Camp Monday night, according to a press release issued by the Federal Bureau of Prisons of the U.S. Department of Justice.

The inmate, Juan Manuel Pesina, 33, of Georgia, was discovered missing during a head count at the jail at 10 p.m. A search of the immediate area was unsuccessful and he was placed on escape status, the release said.

Pesina was sentenced in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina to a term of seven years, six months for conspiracy to import a controlled substance, the release said.

Pesina is described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 6 inches tall, 165 pounds, with a medium build, black hair and brown eyes.

He has no significant criminal history and is not considered dangerous, the release said.

Anyone with information can call the U.S. Marshal's Office at 1-800-336-0102.

Woman injured in Antietam Street lot

A Hagerstown woman was injured Tuesday afternoon in an apparent domestic dispute in the parking lot at the rear of 30 E. Antietam St. just after obtaining an ex parte order, according to Hagerstown City Police.

Police found Krista Lynn Crawford, 20, of 30 E. Antietam St., laying on the ground in the parking lot when they arrived at 3:30 p.m., police said.

Crawford told police she parked her car there upon returning from Washington County District Court and a man began banging on the car.

According to Krista Crawford and a witness at the scene, she got out of her car and a man rushed at her and threw a large amount of money at her, police said.

He then grabbed her and threw her on the ground, struck her in the head with his fist several times and banged her head into the ground several times, police said.

Crawford was taken to Washington County Hospital by ambulance after complaining of head pain and was treated and released, police said.

An arrest warrant for second-degree assault was being sought, police said.

City man's finger hurt in gun accident

A Hagerstown man injured his index finger on his right hand Tuesday morning after a loaded .22-caliber rifle mounted on a gun rack on a wall fired as he tried to remove it, according to Hagerstown Police.

Timothy Wayne Carpenter, 38, of 1302 Jay Drive, was treated and released from Washington County Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

At about 8:40 a.m., Carpenter apparently took the gun's muzzle in his right hand and put his left hand around the trigger area, police said.

His thumb hit the trigger and discharged the rifle, police said.

Md. man charged with assault

FREDERICK, Md. - A Frederick man was charged Monday in connection with a struggle March 20 that led to a stabbing, according to Frederick Police.

Derek Christopher Charles, 36, of 108 Burke St., was charged with two counts of reckless endangerment, first- and second-degree assault, and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure, police said.

A struggle took place at 141 West South St. after a man brandished a large hunting knife and demanded money from another person who supposedly owed him, police said.

The victim, who was holding a 3-year-old child, suffered a substantial cut to the left hand during the struggle, police said.

The man fled the area when he heard police sirens, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles