Police log

March 01, 1998

Police surprise burglar at scene

Hagerstown police surprised a burglar in the act at Moore's Lumber and Building Supplies early Saturday.

Officers responded to an alarm at the business, at 950 Dual Highway, at about 12:30 a.m. and found an empty pickup truck backed up to the west side of the building, police said.

One of the officers saw a man look out the rear door, go back in, then come out running out toward a fence east of the building, police said.

He scaled the fence then ran away.

Two saws and an impact drill, valued at $535, were found near the business's doorway.

A suspect was later arrested on Abbey Lane, police said.

Robert Lee Mollock Jr., 25, address unknown, was charged with burglary and theft, police said.

Teenagers face multiple charges

FUNKSTOWN, Md. - Two teens, aged 17 and 18, were charged with possession of marijuana, driving while suspended and other traffic charges early Saturday on Chestnut Street.


Brett Lee Oxendine, 18, of 1924 Abbey Lane, was found to be the driver of a 1989 Honda CRX which Maryland State Police Trooper First Class J.S. Sagal stopped at 1:40 a.m. for an equipment violation.

A strong odor of marijuana was coming from vehicle, Sagal said.

Marijuana was later recovered from under the driver's seat and the pocket of the driver. A double-edged knife was found in the glovebox.

The 17-year-old boy was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and carrying a concealed weapon, police said.

Oxendine was released late Saturday after posting $3,000 bond. The juvenile's status was unknown.

W.Va. woman injured in fire

RIPPON, W.Va. - A Jefferson County woman was admitted to Jefferson Memorial Hospital Friday night after fire caused an estimated $30,000 to her home.

Virginia Burns, age unavailable, was in good condition Saturday, according to a hospital spokesman.

According to the Independent Fire Co. report, the fire at the two story farmhouse on W.Va. 340 was called in at 6:07 p.m. The fire caused extensive damage to the first floor and is believed to have started in the living room.

The fire is believed to be electrical.

The Herald-Mail Articles