2 sentenced for role in robbery

February 27, 1998


Staff Writer, Chambersburg

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Two people involved in a burglary that led to the death of an accomplice were sentenced Wednesday in Franklin County Court.

Tytus Lee Taylor, 21, of Chambersburg, was given a 5-to-12-year state prison sentence for burglary in the April 23, 1997, break-in at the Greene Township home of Alan Frazier, of 4496 Sycamore Grove Road.

Amanda Colon, 19, formerly of Chambersburg, was placed on probation by Judge John Walker for her role in the crime.

The burglary resulted in the death of Ernesto Casanova, 17, of Chambersburg. He was shot in the head by Frazier's son Daniel, 19, during a struggle in the mobile home, according to Pennsylvania State Police.


Police charged Taylor, his brother Marcus, Colon, Anthony D'Ambrosio, Michael Jett and George W. Jones Jr., all from Chambersburg, in the crime.

Colon pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery, according to the district attorney's office. Now living in Pittsburgh, she was sentenced to two years probation and a $250 fine. Police records said she drove the others to the Frazier home.

Marcus Taylor, Jones and Jett pleaded guilty to attempted robbery, according to the district attorney's office. They all received 3-to-6-year sentences.

Police records said they planned to rob the home, believing there were drugs and money inside. One defendant, D'Ambrosio, was armed with a shotgun, records show.

Daniel Frazier was cleared of any responsibility for Casanova's death. Police later charged him with possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was put on probation.

Tytus Taylor never entered the house during the burglary, according to police. It was the second felony conviction for the former Chambersburg High School running back, who previously served a 9-to-23-month county jail sentence for criminal conspiracy for a 1996 break-in at a sporting goods store in Chambersburg in which several handguns were stolen.

Although another defendant carried the shotgun, Tytus Taylor's sentence included a five-year mandatory minimum because a firearm was used in the crime.

Walker gave Taylor credit for time served since his April 27, 1997, arrest and fined him $300.

District Attorney Jack Nelson told Walker that Colon's cooperation with police helped solve the case.

"Why you were running with that group that night is beyond me," Walker told her.

The only defendant not sentenced is D'Ambrosio, 17. He has pleaded guilty to robbery. Nelson said he faces a minimum of five years in prison when he is sentenced.

The Herald-Mail Articles