Police log

February 26, 1998

Police log

Store opens despite blaze

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A fire early Wednesday at a supermarket failed to keep the business from opening on time.

Franklin Fire Co. Assistant Fire Chief Gary Himes said the fire was reported at 5:40 a.m. when employees at Sunnyway Food smelled smoke coming from the incinerator room.

The incinerator is in a concrete block room attached to the back of the store at 49 Warm Spring Road in Hamilton Township. Himes said the employees kept the steel door to the room closed, "which definitely kept it from spreading."

Himes said Wednesday night he did not know what caused the fire and did not have a dollar estimate on the damage. He said it took about 10 minutes to bring under control and firefighters cleared the scene by 7 a.m.


Firefighters from St. Thomas, Chambersburg, Marion and Letterkenny Army Depot responded to the call, along with the Franklin County Air Unit.

Accident victims in good condition

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Two people remained hospitalized Wednesday after a Sunday night accident that killed a Shippensburg, Pa., girl.

April Shipley, 16, of Chambersburg, was listed in good condition at Hershey Medical Center, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Her brother Scott Shipley, 18, of Shippensburg, was also in good condition, the spokeswoman said.

Both were injured in a 6:41 p.m. accident Sunday on the 1800 block of Philadelphia Avenue that killed Danelle R. Thomas, 16, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Man unhurt after truck hits rail

SMITHSBURG - A York, Pa., man escaped injury Wednesday morning after the truck he was driving slid on a patch of ice and struck a guardrail on Md. 77 east of Wolfsville Road, according to Maryland State Police.

Todd F. Kraft, 23, of 916 E. Bourdry Ave., was driving a 1998 Mitsubishi box truck west on Md. 77 when it hit a patch of ice as he attempted to slow down while approaching a sharp curve, police said.

The truck slid into a guardrail, police said.

The ice on the road formed from melted snow that froze overnight, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles