Jefferson Co. grand jury returns indictments

January 22, 1998

Jefferson Co. grand jury returns indictments


Staff Writer

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A Jefferson County grand jury indicted a Wisconsin man Wednesday in a case involving three Maryland men who were shot last July at the Harpers Ferry, W.Va., Flea Market.

Patrick J. Carr, 53, was charged with three counts of malicious wounding Wednesday by the grand jury.

On the night of July 27, West Virginia State Police were called to the flea market about a suspicious person.

When troopers arrived, they found a chaotic scene where shots had been fired and people were on the ground.

Danny Lerch, 34, and James Hoare, 36, both of Knoxville, Md., and Barry Deeds Sr., 51, of Point of Rocks, Md., were injured in the incident, according to court records.


Carr also was injured during the melee.

A .38-caliber revolver was found.

At a preliminary hearing in August, a West Virginia State Police trooper said the shots were fired after a crowd formed around a man accused of attempting to lure children to a nearby graveyard.

In other grand jury proceedings, Jackie Dale Keener, 45, of Kearneysville, W.Va., was indicted on charges of attempted child abuse creating a substantial risk of injury or death to a child, two counts of domestic assault, one count of domestic battery and one count of assault on a police officer.

On Aug. 5, West Virginia State Police were called to the Happy Creek subdivision, where they found a man sitting on top of a pickup truck, holding a 20-month-old child in one arm and a gun pointed at a hundred-gallon, high-pressure tank in his other hand, according to court records.

A gasoline tank also was next to the high-pressure tank, creating a highly explosive situation, police reports said.

The man told troopers he would shoot if they did not leave his property.

When Trooper D.D. Forman asked if the man wanted to hurt the girl, the man replied "She's old enough to go to God with me," according to charging documents.

The troopers were able to convince the man to let the girl go and surrender, charging documents said.

The troopers were later honored for their heroism in the incident.

The dispute started with an argument between the man and his wife. The man put the gun in his mouth at one point, charging documents said.

The woman was struck with the butt of the gun and her life was threatened, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles