Man burned in apartment fire
A Hagerstown man burned himself trying to put out a fire in his apartment Thursday night, fire officials said.
The man, who was not identified, was taken to Washington County Hospital with burns to his hands and arms following the 8:15 p.m. fire at 102 Fairground Ave., officials said.
Community Rescue Service Chief Chris Amos said he had no information about the severity of the burns. Even a second-degree burn is serious if it involves the hands, he said.
Regardless of the damage, Amos said such burns are extremely painful.
"There's a lot of pain management that will be involved," he said.
Battalion Chief Ron Horn said the fire started at about 8:15 p.m. in the living room of the apartment. When firefighters arrived, they saw flames through the first-floor window, he said.