Police confirm murder-suicide

January 13, 1998

Police confirm murder-suicide


Staff Writer, Waynesboro

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police confirmed Tuesday that the shooting deaths of a man and woman whose bodies were found Monday in a Quincy Township, Pa., home were a murder-suicide.

Autopsies on Shannon Shockey, 20, of 8319 Mentzer Gap Road, and Jay Wilbur Stouffer Jr., 30, of 23506 Ringgold Pike, Smithsburg, showed that Stouffer shot Shockey twice then shot himself, police said.

The two had been involved in a brief relationship that Shockey ended over the weekend when she told Stouffer she was going back to Bernard McAfee, according to Shockey's relatives.


She had been dating McAfee for more than a year and the two had been engaged, relatives said. They said Shockey had been seeing Stouffer for a few weeks.

Stouffer became upset when Shockey went back to McAfee, they said.

If was McAfee who, when Shockey did not show up for work Monday, went to her apartment, where he found the bodies.

Shockey and Stouffer worked at Buchanan Auto Park, a dealership in Waynesboro owned by Dean Hebb, Shockey's grandfather.

McAfee works at the dealership.

Stouffer was a key witness for the prosecution in a case involving a Greencastle, Pa., man charged in the shotgun slaying of his girlfriend, according to Franklin County District Attorney Jack Nelson.

In that case, Richard M. Simmons was charged in the Jan. 12, 1989, shooting death of Shawn Ann Reitz, 21, according to court records. Simmons was arrested on Sept. 1, 1993, after Stouffer gave statements to police.

Stouffer, a Virginia prison inmate at the time, told police that on the morning of Reitz's death he and Simmons had smoked marijuana. He told police that around 1 p.m. that day he waited in his vehicle while Simmons went into the Antrim Township, Pa., house he shared with Reitz and their 3-month-old son. The child was unharmed.

Stouffer said he heard two or three gunshots, and then Simmons came out shouting "she's dead."

Simmons got into his car and drove to Hagerstown. Stouffer said he followed in his own vehicle.

Later Simmons told Stouffer that he killed Reitz and that he'd kill him if he said anything, Stouffer told police.

Simmons pleaded no contest to a third-degree murder charge, according to court records. He was sentenced to 10 to 20 years in prison on June 28, 1995.

The Herald-Mail Articles