YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsK-9

Pa. shooting punctuates growing crime problem

January 09, 1998


Staff Writer

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Contrary to complaints of poor police protection in the neighborhood that was the scene of a shootout Thursday night that left two men wounded, officers have been stepping up activity there all along, Chambersburg Police Chief Michael DeFrank said.

Police released no new details on the shooting Friday, but identified the victims as Roy Morris, 27, of 411 Chateau Terrace, Shippensburg, and Lucas Ismond, 38, of 141 Greenmeadow Drive, Chambersburg.

Both were flown to Hershey Medical Center where Morris' condition was listed as serious Friday and Ismond's, the more seriously injured, as critical, according to a spokeswoman.


According to police, two men were in a verbal argument at the house before they started shooting at each other. The house is rented to Herman "Tippy" Parker, DeFrank said.

He said police have responded to the house before.

No arrests had been made as of Friday, police said. Detective Sgt. Diane Kelso, the investigating officer, said interviews with witnesses were still under way.

Other people were in the house when the shooting occurred, police said.

Several West South Street residents say their neighborhood, once a nice place to live and raise families, has become crime-ridden. One man said he and some of his neighbors have appeared before the Borough Council demanding more police protection.

"I've lost count on the number of drug raids we've made there," DeFrank said. "I guess the man's complaint comes out of frustration, but we are paying attention there. It's a hot spot that we've been addressing for years. Before drugs, it was alcohol and gambling. They use to play craps between the cars."

DeFrank said police use undercover cops, foot and bicycle patrols, cruiser and K-9 patrols in the neighborhood.

"The mayor, the borough council president and the Borough Council are all concerned about the area," he said.

On Oct. 6, Charles D. Green, 22, of 18 W. Catherine St., was shot dead with a single gunshot wound to the chest while standing in front of his house.

Police charged Bryan K. Jefferson, 37, of 226 Harrison St., Harrisburg, Pa., in Green's killing. Jefferson's case was bound over to the Court of Common Pleas for trial following a hearing on Dec. 5. He is free on bond while awaiting trial, according to court records.

It was not the first time that Green was shot in that neighborhood. On July 20 he was standing in a crowd on West South Street when it was sprayed with bullets in a drive-by shooting. He was hospitalized with wounds to the chest and wrist.

The Herald-Mail Articles