2 sentenced in May shooting

January 07, 1998

2 sentenced in May shooting


Staff Writer

Two men convicted of crimes stemming from a May 20 shooting at the Hagerstown Motel 6 were sentenced Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court.

Judge Kennedy Boone sentenced Reshen Bathers, 18, formerly of 138 W. North St., to a total of 30 years in prison, five years without eligibility of parole.

A Washington County Circuit Court jury found Bathers guilty Dec. 5 of attempted second-degree murder, attempted armed robbery and a handgun violation which carries the mandatory five-year sentence.


Co-defendant Shacore Little, 20, formerly of 55 S. Potomac St., was sentenced to 15 years in prison for attempted armed robbery.

Boone recommended the two men serve their sentences as Eastern Correctional Institution in Somerset County, Md.

Sentencing for a third man, James Smalls, 20, formerly of 126 High St., was postponed Tuesday. He also was found guilty of reckless endangerment and attempted armed robbery on Dec. 5.

All three men initially were each charged with attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, attempted armed robbery and use of a handgun in commission of a crime, according to court records.

A fourth defendant, Mandy Louise Nunemaker, 20, of 55 S. Potomac St., pleaded guilty in mid-December to attempted armed robbery.

She was given a 15-year suspended sentence, placed on probation for five years and ordered to submit to drug treatment. She also is facing charges in Frederick, Md.

Nunemaker was a key witness for the prosecution, testifying she was in the company of the defendants at the motel when the shooting occurred.

She said she fled the scene after the shots were fired, and spent that night at the Days Inn in Williamsport.

The next day, she went to Frederick and registered at the Holiday Inn, where she and the defendants were arrested.

Neither the defendants nor the victim, Steven McCormick, 31, of Crisfield, Md., testified during the two-day trial.

McCormick, who was shot in the upper chest, was hospitalized from May 21 to May 30 at Washington County Hospital.

Washington County Assistant State's Attorney Joe Michael handled the prosecution.

The Herald-Mail Articles