Police log

January 02, 1998

Hancock house damaged by fire

HANCOCK - An accidental fire east of Hancock left a man temporarily displaced from his home Friday, according to a state fire marshal.

The fire at 8905 Corner Road apparently began when an ember from a wood stove in the basement ignited nearby wood being stored for the stove, said Deputy Chief Allen Ward.

No one was injured or home at the time of the fire, Ward said.

The owner and resident of the house, Gregory Lighty, 35, was to spend the night at a friend's home, Ward said.


A friend reported the fire from a neighbor's house after arriving around 3:30 p.m. and seeing smoke coming from the one-story, wood-frame house, Ward said.

Ward said the damage was valued at $10,000. Most of the fire damage was contained in the basement, but there was smoke damage throughout the house, he said.

It took 20 firefighters from Hancock, Clear Spring and Berkeley Springs, W.Va., 15 minutes to put out the fire, Ward said.

Two facing charges in theft of Pa. car

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Two Chambersburg residents were charged on Friday with criminal conspiracy in the theft of a car that had been repossessed, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Tammy Rudisill, 18, of 1608 Greenway, and Wesley Peters, 18, of 1819 Sollenberger Road, also were charged with theft by unlawful taking and criminal mischief, police said.

Two people cut the fence at Rife Motors at 768 N. Franklin St. on Nov. 19, police said.

They took Rudisill's 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24 without the permission of Rife Motors or Commercial Credit, of 1320 Lincoln Way East, police said.

Firefighters called out to blaze at home

MERCERSBURG, Pa. - Firefighters from Mercersburg and Maugansville were battling a fully involved house fire Friday night, officials said.

The call for the house fire in the 14000 block of Fort Loudon Road came in at 9:15 p.m., according to Franklin County Emergency Services.

No further information was available.

Bug bombs trigger automatic fire alarm

Bug bombs at Manny's Oriental Rugs in downtown Hagerstown tripped the automatic fire alarm on Friday afternoon, said Battalion Chief Richard Hopkins.

About 20 firefighters, three fire engines and two fire trucks responded to the 5:30 p.m. call to 72 W. Washington St., Hopkins said.

Firefighters knocked a door down when they saw a cloud of what appeared to be smoke behind a glass door, Hopkins said.

The vapor cloud was from the pest bombs, he said.

Traffic was detoured temporarily around the first blocks of Summit Avenue and West Washington Street.

The Herald-Mail Articles