Charges dropped against man in shooting case

December 22, 1997

Charges dropped against man in shooting case


Staff Writer

A man held for two days following a Friday shooting on Jonathan Street was released Monday after charges against him were dismissed.

Robert Clipper, 25, of 202 N. Potomac St., was released Monday after charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and use of a handgun in the commission of a felony were dismissed in Washington County District Court.

On Sunday, "detectives developed information which determined the suspect, Robert Clipper, possibly was not the individual responsible" for the Friday shooting in which Andre Lashawn Morgan, of Garden Lane, Hagerstown, was wounded, police said in a release.


Detectives were searching Monday for a man they believe was with Clipper when the shooting took place, according to police.

Because of confusion at the shooting scene, witnesses made errors in identification that led police to file charges against Clipper, according to Sgt. Rick Johnson of Hagerstown City Police.

Police on Sunday advised Washington County State's Attorney M. Kenneth Long of the circumstances surrounding the arrest.

As a result, Washington County Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Hardy entered the dismissals Monday at what was to have been Clipper's bond review and Clipper was released.

Attempts to reach Clipper after his release were unsuccessful.

Morgan, who underwent surgery Friday, was listed in fair condition Monday at Washington County Hospital. He was shot in the buttocks and in the leg, police said.

Witnesses told police that Morgan and the person who shot him had gotten into a fight early Friday.

The person left, returned with a gun to the 300 block of Jonathan Street, and started shooting at Morgan, who ran, according to police.

Police found Morgan in the first block of West North Street and found that he had been shot, police said.

Detectives Steve Hoover and Carroll Braun were continuing the investigation. Efforts to locate the gunman have been stepped up, police said.

Staff Writer Marlo Barnhart contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles