W.Va. man held in shooting

victim in hospital

December 20, 1997

W.Va. man held in shooting; victim in hospital


Staf Writer

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - State police Saturday charged a Hedgesville area man with malicious wounding for shooting another man several times, a victim who police said "was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

The victim, Curtis Wayne Butts Jr., 37, of Gerrardstown, W.Va., was taken to City Hospital in Martinsburg with multiple gunshot wounds, said Trooper J.A. Laing.

Curtis was in satisfactory condition Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The suspect, Raymond Sydney Wallace, 34, of Camp Frame Road, was arrested without a struggle outside a residence at the end of that road and taken to the Eastern Regional Jail, Laing said.


According to Laing, the shooting took place around 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the driveway of a private home on Camp Frame Road. It runs north off W.Va. 9 west of Hedgesville. The incident occurred in an area called Northwood Ranch Estates, police said.

Police said Wallace and the woman he was living with became involved in a domestic dispute and that shots were fired at their residence.

The victim and his girlfriend went to the home to get Wallace's girlfriend away from him, police said. Laing declined to identify the women.

Wallace's girlfriend got into Butts car and he headed south on Camp Frame Road with Wallace in pursuit in his high-powered Ford Mustang, police said. Butts was unable to get away from Wallace's faster car so he pulled into the driveway of a well-lit home hoping to get help, Laing said.

Butts' girlfriend went to the house for help while Butts walked over to Wallace's car. Butts was shot four times, in the left and right arms, face and left thigh, Laing said.

"He was just trying to help the woman, but he ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time," Laing said.

The intended victim was Wallace's girlfriend, not Butts.

"She was just very lucky," Laing said.

Wallace drove away and the victim was taken to the garage of the home to wait for the ambulance.

Laing declined to say what caliber weapon was used.

He said interviews with the victim and those with him confirmed Wallace's identity. Further investigation told police where Wallace would be later that morning and he was arrested there, Laing said.

The Herald-Mail Articles