Advertisement

Home damaged by fire

December 19, 1997

A fire ignited beneath a fireplace at a house in Hagerstown early Friday, causing severe damage to the basement and first-floor living room, firefighters said.

The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. at 915 Oak Hill Ave., said Hagerstown Fire Department Capt. Kyd Dieterich.

Dieterich said firefighters believe the fire began when ashes and debris from the fireplace ignited in the ash pan. The fire caused heavy damage to the basement and then climbed the walls into the first floor, he said.

The fire also reached the second floor, causing moderate damage to the bedroom, Dieterich said.

The residents, who heard the smoke detector and smelled smoke, were not hurt, Dieterich said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|