Trio of fires keeps units busy

November 30, 1997

Trio of fires keeps units busy


Staff Writer, Chambersburg

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Three fires, one right after the other, damaged a fast-food restaurant, gutted a warehouse and burned down a small shed in and around Chambersburg, keeping firefighters busy most of Sunday afternoon.

At 12:43 p.m., firefighters from Fayetteville Volunteer Fire Company responded to a kitchen fire at Wendy's fast-food restaurant at 1658 Lincoln Way East.

Several lunch customers were evacuated from the restaurant by the time firefighters arrived and there were no injuries, said Deputy Chief Bob Albrecht.


The grease fire started on the stove and had spread behind it when firefighters arrived, he said. Firefighters extinguished the fire in about five minutes, he said.

Estimated damage is $1,000, Albrecht said.

The restaurant reopened later in the day.

Heavy smoke was pouring from the front of a garage owned by National Distributing Co. Inc., at 39 N. Third St., when firefighters from the Chambersburg Fire Department were called out at 1:08 p.m., said Chief Allen Baldwin.

Upon entering the garage, used for vehicle storage, firefighters discovered a large fire in the west side of the building and they were able to confine it to that space, Baldwin said.

Firefighters had the fire under control in about 15 minutes, he said. They were at the scene until 5 p.m., he said.

The rest of the building, including some rooms and apartments above the garage, sustained smoke damage, Baldwin said.

The building was vacant at the time of the fire and there were no injuries, he said.

The fire started in the center of the garage and has been ruled accidental, Baldwin said.

No damage estimate was available.

At 3:30 p.m. firefighters from Marion Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire in an empty shed on a Guilford Township farm, said Chief Frank Hobbs.

The fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived and it was extinguished in about 15 minutes, he said.

Firefighters spent about two hours at the scene because two fire trucks got stuck in the mud on the farm lane, Hobbs said.

No other details were available pending notification of the owner.

The Herald-Mail Articles