Advertisement

Waynesboro getting new lights

November 21, 1997

Waynesboro getting new lights

By RICHARD F. BELISLE

Staff Writer, Waynesboro

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Downtown Waynesboro will have new lights along Main Street next year following a decision Wednesday by the Borough Council to replace the overhead "cobra"-type lights with brighter Victorian-style lamp posts.

Borough Manager Lloyd Hamberger said the new lights will save money, eliminate all overhead wiring that now feeds the current lights and make the downtown brighter.

The plan ends one started this summer by Harry Morningstar Jr., a downtown businessman who launched an effort to replace the current lights with 60 Victorian lampposts. The cost, about $30,000, was borne by donations from businesses and individuals.

Advertisement

The money Morningstar collected so far - $20,000 - was given to the council Wednesday to be used for the new lighting system. The borough will buy 36 lights from the power company for $8.77 each. The power company will provide electricity and maintain the lights for $8.90 a month each.

The borough will spend about $30,000 to dig up both sides of Main Street from Grant to Broad streets for the underground wiring, Hamberger said.

There are downsides. Taxes will go up by a half mill and neither the borough's Christmas lights nor its speakers can be attached to the new lights, Hamberger said.

Also Wednesday the council accepted the resignation of Ward Three Councilman Delmos E. Oldham Sr. Oldham, who has served nearly two years of his four-year term, was elected tax collector and is prohibited by law from holding two borough offices. His resignation takes effect Dec. 18.

Council President Kenney Stouffer set a 5 p.m., Dec. 3 deadline to accept letters of intent from anyone from the third ward seeking Oldham's seat.

The council, which will appoint his successor, will review candidates between Dec. 3 and Dec. 16 and make a decision on Dec. 17, Stouffer said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|