Advertisement

Fire damages Fairplay home

November 16, 1997

Fire damages Fairplay home

By JULIE E. GREENE

Staff Writer

FAIRPLAY - Five Fairplay residents safely evacuated their home Saturday morning after an electrical fire broke out in the attic, according to the state fire marshal's office.

It took 30 firefighters less than an hour to put out the fire, which caused an estimated $30,000 worth of damage to the two-story, 110-year-old brick house at 17829 Spielman Road, fire officials said.

Brandon Wagaman woke up his family around 3:30 a.m. after plaster from the second-floor ceiling began to fall in his face as a result of the fire, according to a release from the fire marshal's office.

Advertisement

Also escaping from the home were Roy Allen Hoover, Stacey Lee Wagaman and Brandon Wagaman's siblings, Ryan and Kristen, the release states.

The family is staying with neighbors while the home's electrical system is repaired, fire officials said.

The roof was gutted and the house had smoke damage, said Capt. John Netz of the Fairplay Volunteer Fire Co.

Deputy state fire marshals determined the fire began when wiring in the attic overheated, igniting the attic's wood framing, according to the fire marshal's office.

Also responding were Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co. Inc., Williamsport Volunteer Fire Co., Sharpsburg Area Emergency Medical Services Inc. and the Washington County Emergency Air Unit, according to the fire marshal's office.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|