Woman charged with making false report of rape

November 14, 1997


Staff Writer

A Hagerstown woman has been charged with making a false report of a rape that resulted in the arrest and imprisonment of her alleged attacker for five months.

Clarissa Jo Harvey, 24, was served with a criminal summons Friday charged her with making a false statement to a police officer. She is being held in the Washington County Detention Center on other charges, jail officials said.

In mid-June, Harvey accused Dwain Thomas Kemp with abducting her at gunpoint while she was walking on West Franklin Street and raping her in a vacant apartment, according to Hagerstown City Police.


Based on her statement, Kemp, 24, of the first block of Manor Drive, was charged with first-degree rape, second-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, perverted practice, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, use of a handgun in a violent crime and attempted sodomy, court records said.

Those charges have now been dismissed, according to the Washington County State's Attorney's office.

Jail records indicate Kemp was jailed from June 13 to Nov. 13 on those charges. He was transported to the Maryland Division of Correction Thursday on a parole retake.

At a June bond hearing, Kemp told Washington County District Judge Ralph France the woman only called police after they had sex and he refused to pay.

Assistant State's Attorney Joe Michael told France in June that Kemp was on probation for a 1996 fourth-degree sex offense and also has two prior convictions for battery.

Harvey told police she had been walking eastbound in the first block of West Franklin Street about 4 a.m. on June 13 when a man walking in the other direction said "hello."

She told police she said "hello" and continued walking, court records said. Then he came up from behind her and grabbed her ponytail while placing a small black handgun to her head, she told police.

Harvey went on to say the man led her to a vacant apartment at 25 1/2 W. Franklin St. and performed various sexual acts on her, court records said.

Acting on the description Harvey gave to police that morning, Officer Joseph Stauffer saw Kemp sleeping on the front steps of a house in the 100 block of South Potomac Street at 6:10 a.m. and arrested him.

Kemp was later identified by Harvey as her assailant, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles