Cirillo Castillo Jr., 22, and Christina Gerreio, 18, were arrested Wednesday as they tried to leave Sunshine House Apartments on Center Street at about 9:30 a.m., according to Sgt. K.C. Bohrer. Candido Castillo, 18, fled on foot but was captured about half an hour later in Martinsburg, Bohrer said.
The report said the faded burgundy van with an Iowa license plate they were in fit the description of a van used in a burglary Tuesday on Poorhouse Road. Bohrer said a woman had returned to here mobile home for lunch when she saw the van backed up to her home.
She contacted authorities, giving what Bohrer described as a complete description of the van and partial descriptions of the people loading her belongings into the vehicle.
City police spotted the van Wednesday and alerted the sheriff's department. Lt. Kenneth Lemaster and two other deputies were staking out the apartment building while Bohrer was getting search warrants and made the arrests when they tried to leave.
Bohrer said some of the woman's belongings were found in the apartment. In the van they found 348 grams of marijuana.
Candido and Cirillo Castillo were charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. Candido Castillo was also charged with fleeing and eluding police, Bohrer said.
Candido Castillo and Gerreio were also held on detainers from the Immigration and Naturalization Service on suspicion of being in the country illegally, according to Bohrer.
Jefferson couple involved in wreck
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Charles Town couple was treated and released from Jefferson Memorial Hospital following a three-vehicle accident Wednesday afternoon on W.Va. 45 East, according to West Virginia State Police.
Trooper D.E. Boober said the incident happened at 3:13 p.m. when Gloria Guy, 62, of Shepherdstown, slowed to turn into an auto dealership near the Jefferson County line.
John and Ann Ramey of Charles Town stopped behind Guy's car, but were hit from behind by Cindy Young, 37, of Martinsburg. The impact forced the Rameys' car into Guy's, Boober said.
The Rameys were taken to the hospital. Boober said Young was charged with failing to maintain control of her vehicle.
W.Va. man charged
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Kearneysville man was arrested Tuesday morning inside a house that had been broken into Monday night, according to the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department.
David Hose, 19, was arrested for burglary shortly after 9 a.m., according to Capt. Curtis Keller. He said Hose and some juveniles were found in the Runnymeade Road home of a man who was in jail.
At 9:11 p.m. Monday, Keller said a man watching the home reported the initial break-in. The house was ransacked, but deputies could not immediately determine if anything had been stolen. Tuesday morning, the man called again to report there were several people in the house.
Keller said the incident is still under investigation.
Mobile homes burn
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - No serious injuries were reported in two mobile home fires that erupted within about 20 minutes of each other Wednesday morning.
The first fire was called in at 3:22 a.m. by Harry Carbaugh, 78, of 944 Edenville Road, in Hamilton Township.
Franklin Volunteer Fire Co. Assistant Chief Denny Clopper said Carbaugh was awakened by the sounds of a malfunctioning furnace.
Carbaugh found his home filled with smoke and went to the living room to call for help. Clopper said he helped Carbaugh from the mobile home.
When he went to check another exterior door, however, Clopper found Carbaugh had gone back inside to look for his cat. Clopper said he took Carbaugh to an ambulance, where he was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.
Fire damage was limited to the furnace closet, bathroom and a portion of the hallway. Clopper estimated damage at $5,000.
Clopper said he believed the cat was unharmed.
A fire was reported at 3:41 a.m. at the Southampton Township home of George Creamer, of 18 Lenwood Park, according to West End Fire and Rescue Co. Lt. Chad Smith.
Assistant Chief Doug Shields' report said Creamer and another family member escaped the mobile home without injury, but one firefighter was treated for minor burns at Chambersburg Hospital and released.
The cause of the fire, which originated in one of the bedrooms, was determined to be electrical, according to the report.
The mobile home was heavily engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The report estimated damage to the building and contents at $45,000.