Waynesboro teen assaulted

October 31, 1997


Staff Writer, Charles Town

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A 15-year-old Waynesboro boy was beaten severely when he left school Friday afternoon by a group of four or five other teenagers, according to Waynesboro Police.

The boy, Mark Travitz, was taken to Waynesboro Hospital. His condition was unavailable Friday night.

The boy was walking on Clayton Avenue, about a block from Waynesboro Senior High School when witnesses said the teenagers approached him and attacked, said Waynesboro Police Officer Michael Bock.

The boy's head was slammed against a parked car and then he was knocked to the ground, Bock said.

The boy's head was then pounded into the street and while he was down the attackers kicked him repeatedly, Bock said.


"The mob mentality started rolling in there," Bock said.

Bock said that when he pulled up to the scene he could not figure out why a group of teenagers would not move from the middle of the street.

He discovered it was other teenagers, most of them girls, who were standing protectively over the injured boy to make sure he was not hit by any cars, Bock said.

"That surprised me. They were really helpful," Bock said.

"It was really nice the kids who stayed there," Bock said.

The witnesses were able to give descriptions of the suspects. The police caught four suspects a short distance away.

Bock said the suspects were laughing when they were stopped by the police and continued joking when they were put in the back of a police cruiser.

He said they did not begin taking it seriously until they were en route to the police department.

The suspects denied attacking the boy and said a fifth teenager struck the blows, Bock said.

Bock said no charges were filed yet and the teenagers were released. The case is still under investigation and Bock said he knows where to find the suspects when the investigation is finished.

Travitz told the police that the other boys had been harassing him for sometime, Bock said.

The Herald-Mail Articles