Horse death under investigation

October 27, 1997


Staff Writer, Chambersburg

MONT ALTO, Pa. - Foul play has not been ruled out in the death of a 17-month-old registered thoroughbred horse found early Sunday morning on a Mont Alto farm.

Labeled suspicious by Pennsylvania State Police, Teeka, a light reddish-brown horse with a white forehead and one white sock, was found dead around 7:15 a.m. in the middle of the field she shared with two other horses who were not harmed, said owner Ronald Laman Jr., of 1097 Garber Road, Chambersburg, Pa.

A friend of Laman's kept the horse for him in Mont Alto, he said. She discovered Teeka's body when she went out to bring the animals into the barn to feed them that morning, he said.


An autopsy conducted Monday morning at the state Department of Agriculture's laboratory in Harrisburg, Pa., determined that the horse died from a severe blow to the left side of the head that cracked its skull. Teeka's neck was also broken, Laman said.

A local veterinarian and state officials told Laman it is possible Teeka could have been kicked by one of the other horses. A full report will not be available for more than a week, Laman said.

All three horses were friendly and got along well with each other, Laman said.

Laman bought the horse - his first one - last June with plans to start training her for shows and so that his 3- and 7-year-old children could learn to ride and grow up with her, he said.

"We just bought her for everyone in the family," Laman said.

When the Lamans first brought Teeka home, she wouldn't even allow them to touch her face. But within three weeks the horse would come up to them and put her head on Laman's shoulder.

"We spent a lot of time with her. The sad part about it is we were never able to ride her because she wasn't old enough," he said.

"This is something you just don't see every day," he said.

Anyone with information can call Trooper Aaron Martin at the Pennsylvania State Police at 1-717-264-5161.

The Herald-Mail Articles