Pa. family loses belongings in trailer fire

October 26, 1997


Staff Writer

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A Pennsylvania couple was left homeless early Friday morning when a fire, believed to have started in a space heater, destroyed their mobile home at 8736 Windy Hill Road in Quincy Township.

According to Darryl Nunemaker, chief of the Mont Alto Fire Department, the couple, Herbert and Brenda Baker, barely escaped unharmed. Herbert Baker's hair was singed by the flames, Nunemaker said.

The couple was asleep. A smoke alarm woke them up, Nunemaker said.

"I don't remember what happened. I woke up and the whole place was on fire," Brenda Baker said. "The smoke alarm was going off. I yelled to my husband to get out of bed. He went out through the living room door and I went out the back door. All we got out with was the clothes we had on. I didn't even have shoes on."


The trailer was destroyed, Nunemaker said. He estimated the damage for the trailer and its contents at $50,000.

"We lost everything. We have nothing left," Brenda Baker said.

The couple has been married for 26 years, according to Paula Baker, the couple's daughter-in-law. They are staying with her temporarily.

Herbert Baker works for U.S. Housing Corp., in Chambersburg, Pa. His wife said she babysits for their six grandchildren.

Paula Baker said the family is seeking donations of food, clothing, household items and furniture for the couple. She said she will ask the Mont Alto Fire Department to be the collection agent.

Herbert Baker wears size medium with pants waist of 32 and size 10 shoes. Brenda Baker wears extra large, size 24 pants and size 9 shoes.

Anyone wishing to help can call Paula Baker at 717-749-7290.

The Herald-Mail Articles