Council tours water plant

October 21, 1997


Staff Writer, Charles Town

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Charles Town Water Plant Superintendent Tim Stone flipped a switch Monday night and the sound of pumps rumbled in the concrete building off W.Va. 9 east of Charles Town.

Stone told the Charles Town Council that from one control panel, he can tell how much water is being pumped into the town's water panels.

The Charles Town Council toured the Charles Town Water Treatment Plant Monday night as part of the regular council session.

When it was over, Mayor J. Randolph Hilton suggested residents should take the tour if they've ever wondered about the amount of their water bill.


Water is piped from the Shenandoah River to the Charles Town treatment plant to a resident's sink, Stone said.

The intake pipe is built into a concrete tower on the Shenandoah River about 1.5 miles from the water treatment plant, he said.

Electric pumps "push" the water through a 16-inch pipe from the river. During the flooding last year, Stone and another water plant employee took a boat out onto the high water to the tower so they could push a reset button on the pump. A device will be installed soon to allow the pump to reset automatically in such situations, he said.

The city spends slightly more than $1 million a year on the water department, said town Manager Jane Arnett. The plant pumps about 1.2 million gallons of water a day to about 7,000 people, she said.

About 80 percent of the 3,152 water meters are connected to homes and the other 20 percent are connected to businesses.

In other council business, the Charles Town Council is planning a retreat for Nov. 15 at Claymont to conduct long-term planning.

Town officials said the town needs to consider repaving nearly all the streets in Charles Town because they have deteriorated.

The Herald-Mail Articles