Woman sought in homicide case

October 21, 1997


Staff Writer

A woman who was allegedly with a suspect when a Greencastle, Pa., man was beaten to death in Washington County in late August is now wanted in connection with that murder.

"We are looking for Clara Elizabeth Miller, whom we believe is avoiding capture,'' said Investigator Roy Harsh of the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Specific charges against Miller aren't known since a Washington County Grand Jury indictment is sealed.

Harsh said anyone found to be harboring Miller could also face criminal prosecution.

Miller, 19, is described as a white woman, 5 feet 4 inches tall, 125 pounds, brown hair, blue eyes. She sometimes goes by the names Kia, Keisha and Kesha, Harsh said.


"She has been seen on the streets off and on but not for the last week or so,'' Harsh said.

Miller's alleged companion at the time of the crime was arrested under the name "James Thomas,'' 30, of 44 1/2 E. Franklin St.

Harsh said the investigation has now revealed his real name to be Thomas Clifford Wallace, age 30 or 31.

He was in jail on a drug charge when he was first charged with attempted murder in the beating of Darrius Allen Fetterhoff of Greencastle, Pa.

When the victim died on Aug. 28, authorities petitioned the Washington County Grand Jury for a murder indictment. That was achieved earlier this month, Harsh said.

Fetterhoff, who was smashed in the head and rolled over a 90-foot embankment, was left for dead Aug. 20, police said.

Fetterhoff, 58, apparently remained for nearly a week after the beating along the Conococheague Creek east of the Creek Bridge on Broadfording Road. He was discovered unconscious by a fisherman looking for bait, Harsh said.

Harsh said he learned Fetterhoff dropped his wife off at work Aug. 20 and then drove to Hagerstown and picked up Clara Miller.

The two later picked up Wallace, Harsh said, and apparently drove to Hopps Landing off of Broadfording Road several miles west of Hagerstown, where Fetterhoff was struck in the head with a rock and pushed down the embankment.

After the assault, Wallace allegedly drove Fetterhoff's car back toward Hagerstown until it ran out of gas near Salem Avenue just outside of the city, Harsh said. A passing motorist stopped and gave Wallace and Miller a ride into town, he said.

As sheriff's deputies searched the area around Fetterhoff's abandoned 1991 Ford Tempo - which had blood inside - that same motorist stopped to ask what was going on.

The motorist remembered giving the pair a ride and described them to a sketch artist, Harsh said. Two other witnesses gave descriptions as well.

The Herald-Mail Articles