Fire investigators are searching for witnesses who may have information about a suspicious fire Tuesday at Townhouse Manor Apartments.
Hagerstown firefighters quickly put out what was left of a smoldering fire in apartment A2 at 121 Manor Drive. A rug and blanket had been burning in a back bedroom, officials said.
Officials immediately ruled the fire suspicious.
Assistant Fire Marshal Wayne Smith said the apartment had been rented to Elizabeth Claggett, but she had not been living there for as long as two months, he said.
"Nobody knows where she's at apparently," he said.
Smith said the electricity had been shut off in the apartment and the unit was ransacked at least a week before the fire.