Police log

September 09, 1997

12-year-old faces DWI charges

KEEDYSVILLE - When Deputy Pam Fogle went to investigate a car into a utility pole Sunday evening, she found an intoxicated 12-year-old boy behind the wheel.

The 9 p.m. accident occurred at the intersection of Dog Street and Mt. Carmel Road, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

The 1983 Chevrolet Camaro had apparently been speeding when it went out of control and hit the pole on Dog Street, deputies said.


The boy was charged with driving while intoxicated, negligent driving and underage drinking. Unhurt, he was released to his parents.

Bicyclist injured in collision with truck

A 44-year-old Mercersburg, Pa., man was in fair condition Monday morning at Washington County Hospital with injuries suffered when his bicycle was hit by a pickup truck Sunday on Big Spring Road.

Wayne Gilbert Larochelle, of 13836 Trailside Lane, was northbound on his bike when he was hit at 3:39 p.m., according to Washington County Sheriff's deputies.

Edward Lee Kerkhoff, 30, of Mercersburg, Pa., was driving a pickup truck towing a large speedboat south on Big Spring Road when he approached a curve, saw the cyclist and skidded, deputies said.

Deputy First Class Tom Routzahn charged Kerkhoff with failure to reduce speed to avoid collision.

Clear Spring High back in session

CLEAR SPRING - Clear Spring High School reopened on schedule Monday morning, three days after the building was evacuated for a fire scare.

The school's approximately 430 students and 42 staff members were kept out of the building for about an hour Friday as firefighters cleared haze from the building, said Principal John Peckyno.

Peckyno said some teachers smelled electrical wire smoldering, but firefighters found nothing burning after the 1 p.m. evacuation.

The school's air conditioning motors were shut off as a precaution, Peckyno said. As of early Friday evening, maintenance workers had found nothing wrong with the air conditioning system, he said.

The cooling system was turned back on after school was dismissed at 3:30 p.m. in an attempt to find the source of the problem, he said.

Maintenance crews made sure the air conditioning system was secure before school started this morning.

The Herald-Mail Articles