YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsMctc

Escapee gets 1-year sentence

September 04, 1997


Staff Writer

An inmate who escaped from a prison work detail on April 22 was given a one-year consecutive sentence Wednesday by Washington County Circuit Judge Kennedy Boone.

Edwin Phillip Hobbs, 35, a prisoner at the Maryland Correctional Training Center, was less than seven months away from completing sentences for carjacking when he walked away from the work detail.

Police reports said a Hagerstown man clung to the hood of his car for more than a block in the March 1996 carjacking incident.


The owner had parked the car and left the key in the ignition in front of his home, police said. He managed to cling to the car as the carjacker drove away from Cannon Avenue onto the Dual Highway, police reports said.

The suspect abruptly stopped the car in front of the Ames Shopping Center and pointed a handgun at the owner, demanding that he get off the hood, police reports said.

The owner was uninjured and Hobbs was arrested a short time later.

Sentenced last December in that case, Hobbs was sent to MCTC to serve his sentence and was placed on work release status.

"I had an anxiety attack," Hobbs explained to Boone about the circumstances the day of the escape. "But I didn't break any laws while I was out."

Part of a five-man crew working along state roads, Hobbs bolted at about 11:10 a.m. when the group took a break at the Md. 66 park-and-ride area just north of Interstate 70, police said.

Prison work crews routinely perform maintenance work on state roads, police said. Hobbs was part of a crew that cut grass, pulled weeds and removed trash.

Police said Hobbs ran toward the east and escaped through a wooded area. An MCTC correctional officer saw Hobbs but could not leave the rest of the inmates, and radioed for help, according to police reports.

About eight state troopers, two bloodhounds and a Maryland State Police helicopter searched the area but could not find Hobbs, police said.

Troopers formed a perimeter and patrolled I-70, Mt. Aetna Road and other nearby roads. In addition, troopers searched a quarry just north of the park-and-ride.

Hobbs was picked up in Frederick, Md., two days later.

He would have been released from prison on Nov. 13 had he not escaped, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles