Police log

September 02, 1997

North Carolina man charged after chase

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A North Carolina man headed to New York was charged Sunday after a short, high-speed chase on U.S. Interstate 81 that ended after police popped the front tire of the car, according to a West Virginia State Police report.

Steven Cornwell, 29, of Gastonia, N.C. was arrested after a red, 1994 Ford Mustang was seen driving recklessly on Interstate 81 at the 12-mile marker at about 4:40 a.m., police said.

The Mustang sometimes passed cars at more than 120 mph, until it finally stopped at the 19-mile marker after the right front tire came off, police said. Police had punctured the tire with a stoop stick near the 16-mile marker.


Cornwell was charged with reckless driving, driving under the influence and felony DUI-fleeing, police said. He was arraigned before a county magistrate and released.

Cornwell's breath test results were .177, above the legal limit of .1, police said.

Myersville man arrested on drug charges

BOONSBORO - An 18-year-old Myersville, Md., man was arrested for possession of suspected marijuana and drug paraphernalia Saturday night, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Brian Edward Barthlow, 18, of 7 Poplar St., was arrested in the parking lot of the South Mountain Little League on Monroe Road at 9:55 p.m.

Barthlow was also cited for drinking alcohol after an odor of alcohol was allegedly detected on his breath.

2 women treated after collision on U.S. 522

BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. - Two women were treated at War Memorial Hospital Monday for minor injuries they suffered in a rear-end collision on U.S. 522, according to West Virginia State Police.

The accident occurred just north of Berkeley Spring shortly before 11 a.m., state police in Morgan County said.

Frances L. Waugh, 31, of Berkeley Springs had slowed to make a right turn when her 1993 Chevy Cavalier was hit from behind by a 1994 Buick Century driven by Lucille V. Stultz, 69, of Winchester, Va.

Stultz was unhurt, but Waugh and her passenger, 36-year-old Rebecca Brock of Berkeley Springs, were taken to the hospital.

Police charged Stultz with failing to reduce speed to avoid a collision and driving with an expired registration.

Men charged after fight in Martinsburg

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Two men were charged by city police with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct after an altercation Monday afternoon.

James R. Taylor, 32, no fixed address, and Michael R. Roberts, 24, of 206 Seibert St., were both sprayed with pepper spray by police, according to Lt. George Swartwood.

Additional charges against Taylor include destruction of property and public drunkenness. Roberts was also charged with possession of marijuana in the 4:11 p.m. incident.

Police said Taylor went to 405 Porter Ave. to see an ex-girlfriend and his child and got into a fight with Roberts. When police arrived the two men continued to swing wildly at each other as the two officers tried to break up the fight, police said.

Neither officer was injured, according to the report.

Ames worker treated for head injury

An employee of Ames department store on Dual Highway in Hagerstown was taken to Washington County Hospital Thursday night with head injuries, according to Community Rescue Service.

Nathan Lindblom, 19, of Hagerstown, was treated and released, hospital officials said.

Man collides with car while pulling out of lot

An act of courtesy turned out badly for a Pennsylvania man Thursday evening as he pulled out of a convenience store parking lot and hit another vehicle, Maryland State Police said.

Kurt Anthony Giacomelli, 28, of Bensalem, Pa., was in the Sheetz Store on U.S. 11 north of Maugans Ave. at 5:25 p.m. Thursday, police said.

As he began to leave the lot, an unidentified southbound motorist stopped and motioned for Giacomelli to pull out, police said.

But when he did, he hit a 1990 Geo Storm driven by Michelle Lee Starliper, 18, of Mercersburg, Pa., who was in the southbound left turn lane.

Giacomelli was charged with failure to yield the right of way, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles