Hostage hearing waived

August 30, 1997


Staff Writer, Waynesboro

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Terry Brown, accused of holding his wife hostage and Chambersburg police at bay in a nine-hour standoff July 15, waived a preliminary hearing Friday.

The waiver sends his case to the Court of Common Pleas.

Police ended the standoff at 439 W. Queen St., where Brown, 50, and his wife Barbara Ellen Brown lived, by firing about a dozen canisters of tear gas into the home. She told police her husband was depressed over their pending separation, according to court records.

She said Brown had been home since 2 a.m. displaying a rifle and repeatedly threatening violence, court records said. She walked out of the house with the rifle around 8:15 a.m. after her husband had fallen asleep. She told police he had access to a shotgun inside the house, according to court records.


Police had arrived on the scene around 7 a.m. after receiving a call that a woman was being held in the house, according to court records.

Brown came out of the house unarmed. At first he disregarded verbal orders from police who eventually forced him to the ground and handcuffed him without incident.

Brown was charged with unlawful restraint, false imprisonment, simple assault, reckless endangerment and resisting arrest, all misdemeanors.

In court Friday, Barbara Brown told Tony Adams, her husband's private attorney, that she and Brown are not living together, but that she wanted the charges filed on her behalf against him dropped.

Borough Police Detective Dianne Kelso said those charges include unlawful restraint, false imprisonment and simple assault. District Justice Gary Carter agreed to the request.

Brown still faces charges of reckless endangerment and resisting arrest. Carter set his arraignment date in the Court of Common Pleas for Oct. 8.

Brown is free on bail. His wife also asked that the bail provision banning him from having contact with her be lifted. Carter agreed to that, too.

Adams said he did not know why Brown's wife wanted the charges dropped.

The Herald-Mail Articles