Advertisement

Fire strikes 19th century log home

August 24, 1997

By JULIE E. GREENE

Staff Writer

BOONSBORO - The rear of a 100-year-old pre-Civil War log home south of Boonsboro was heavily damaged by an electrical fire Friday night, fire officials said Saturday.

The fire was caused when the wiring to an overhead light fixture in an attached carport overheated, igniting the combustible ceiling, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

The fire caused $80,000 worth of damage to the rear of the 6513 Gilardi Road house and its contents, according to the fire marshal's office. The log home was covered by shingles and vinyl siding.

Advertisement

About 50 firefighters from Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Williamsport, Myersville, Md., and Middletown, Md., responded to the fire, including three tanker trucks since there was no hydrant nearby, fire officials said.

Firefighters put the fire out in about 30 minutes, said firefighter Troy Lloyd, with the First Hose Co. of Boonsboro Inc. They stayed on the scene until 2:30 a.m.

Boonsboro Deputy Chief Curt Fales said firefighters were able to keep the fire from causing any structural damage inside.

Charles Sigler Sr. said Friday night he was putting the dogs out around 10:15 p.m. when he noticed smoke at the back of the house.

Sigler got his wife, son and five pets out of the two-story house and tried to fight the fire with a garden hose.

Their 19-year-old son was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, Fales said.

The house is owned by Charles Sigler's in-laws, Sigler said. The family was expecting to stay with the in-laws who live nearby, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|