Police log

August 09, 1997

Greencastle man charged following incident at motel

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Greencastle, Pa., man was arrested Saturday morning after he allegedly pointed a rifle at a motel clerk, Pennsylvania State Police said.

Larry Harold Poffenberger Jr., of 13790-47 Molly Pitcher Highway, was charged with one count of making terroristic threats and six counts of recklessly endangering another person, police said. He was being held Saturday on $50,000 bond.

Poffenberger went to at the Econo-Lodge at 735 Buchanan Trail East on Saturday morning and told a clerk he was looking for his wife, according to police. He then showed he was carrying the rifle, which prompted the clerk to push Poffenberger back and close the door, police said. She then dialed 911.


Poffenberger then went to the motel's night window and pointed the weapon at the clerk, police said. The clerk moved away from the window and Poffenberger placed the muzzle of the weapon in the drop slot, police said.

The clerk later told police that the suspect then left the immediate area.

Four state police troopers and a corporal arrived at about 5:20 a.m. and found Poffenberger in the motel's parking lot with the rifle in his hand, police said. On several occasions he placed the rifle in his mouth, police said.

At about 5:55, Poffenberger placed the rifle on the ground and was taken into custody, police said.

Man wanted in Ohio arrested by Hagerstown police

Hagerstown City Police arrested an escapee Saturday afternoon after he jumped through a second-floor window of a downtown building while being pursued by officers.

Police said 47-year-old Anderson Jay Mitchell was wanted by U.S. marshals. No address was available for Mitchell, they said.

Police said after Mitchell was described during the pre-patrol briefing, an officer said he had seen him hanging around at the corner of Franklin and Potomac streets.

Police said officers went to that location and spotted Mitchell, who "disappeared into a building" at 8 W. Franklin St. Police said Mitchell jumped out the window to the ground while officers were inside searching.

Police said when they heard the window break, Officers Jim Robison and Cliff Briggs went back outside the building, where they apprehended Mitchell.

Mitchell was taken to the Washington County Detention Center, where deputies said he was being held on detainers issued by the U.S. Marshal's Service.

Deputies said Mitchell was wanted by U.S. marshals in Ohio, on an escape charge.

The Herald-Mail Articles