Police log

August 06, 1997

Two injured in accident in Cearfoss area

CEARFOSS - Two people were hurt - one seriously -Monday evening just after 7 p.m. in a head-on crash on Fairview Road at Wishard Road on the bridge over the Conococheague Creek.

Laura M. Blair, 28, of Mercersburg Road, Clear Spring, and Timothy Michael Drury, 21, of 17042 Castle Hill Road, were both taken to Washington County Hospital.

Drury's condition was serious this morning.

Blair was treated and released, hospital officials said.

According to Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Tim Hafer, the 7:09 p.m. accident occurred when Drury's westbound vehicle strayed into Blair's path and overturned after hitting her.


Hafer, who continuing his investigation, said alcoholic beverages were found in Drury's truck.

Maugansville Fire Department and Community Rescue Service responded to the incident.

Girl, 14, found driving vehicle after traffic stop

Washington County Sheriff's deputies got quite a surprise this morning when they stopped a car on U.S. 40 for running a red light at Eastern Boulevard at 1:45 a.m.

The driver turned out to be a 14-year-old girl.

Deputy Rob Whittington said he was first alerted to the car because it had a headlight out. Then he watched the car fail to stop at the light.

When approached, the driver first gave a false date of birth, Whittington said.

Later it was learned the 14-year-old had taken her mother's car without permission, Whittington said.

Two injured when vehicle flips on Md. 68 Monday

Two Washington County residents were injured when their vehicle flipped over on Md. 68 Monday night, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

According to Deputy Richard Peacock, a 17-year-old boy, who lives on Greystone Drive, swerved his 1986 Nissan pickup to avoid a van at the Interstate 81 overpass at about 9:15 p.m.

The boy was treated at Washington County Hospital and released, Peacock said.

A 16-year-old girl was flown to Washington County Hospital with hand and arm injuries, he said.

Monday night, Peacock would not release the girl's name because her parents were out of town and had not been notified. Without her name, her condition today was unavailable.

The vehicle the boy swerved to avoid is described as a light-blue or silver Caravan-type vehicle. Peacock said the car turned around and drove past the accident several times and then got back on I-81 heading north.

Anyone with information about the van or its tag number is asked to call Peacock at 301-791-3020.

$6,000 diamond ring reported stolen at hospital

A $6,000 marquis-cut diamond ring was reported stolen Monday from an employee locker at Washington County Hospital, according to Hagerstown City Police.

The size 6 high-set diamond is mounted on a yellow gold band, police said.

In other incidents,

* The theft of a white Safari moped, valued at $80, was reported Monday from 135 Randolph Ave., Hagerstown City Police said.

* Two boys, aged 17 and 14, were arrested over the weekend in connection with the theft and destruction of a cordless phone, Hagerstown City Police said.

The phone was taken from in front of a house in the 700 block of Summit Avenue. The homeowner chased the boys and when he caught up with them, they allegedly smashed the phone against a wall, police said.

Later, after they were apprehended, the pair was implicated and also charged in an unrelated car theft, police said.

* Monday, police were called to McDonald's Restaurant at Washington Street and Cannon Avenue for a reported of the theft of a large sum of money.

No further details were available this morning.

RCI inmate cut around eye sent to Johns Hopkins

The 21-year-old inmate at the Roxbury Correctional Institution who was reportedly cut around the eye by a sharp object early Monday has been transported to Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore.

His condition there this morning wasn't known.

Antoine Simms was injured by a sharp object that had apparently been placed in a sock and used as a weapon by another inmate shortly before 6:30 a.m. Monday, rescuers said.

Division of Correction spokesman David Towers had no further information on the incident this morning.

Two men face charges after police chase

FREDERICK, Md. - Two men were arrested after allegedly leading authorities on a chase Monday morning, Maryland State Police said.

Robert Hamilton Howard, 20, of Ijamsville, Md., was charged with theft under $300, fleeing and eluding and reckless endangerment. He was also wanted by the Frederick County Sheriff's Department for auto theft and escape from the work-release unit, police said.

Rafael Antonio Muriel, 22, of Westminster, Md., was charged with theft under $300 and fleeing by other means.

Howard was being held without bond this morning at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center. Muriel was also being held on $7,000 bond.

According to police, the two men drove away from the Green Valley Citgo station without paying for gasoline.

Police spotted a vehicle matching the description a short time later on Mott Road. When a state trooper attempted to pull the vehicle over, it sped away onto Mott Road, police said.

Authorities later discovered that the vehicle was reported stolen.

When the car reached the end of the road, the two men jumped out and ran into a wooded area between Mott Road and Md. 355, police said. A state police helicopter searched the area from overhead while state troopers formed a perimeter around the area. Canine units from the sheriff's department also assisted, police said.

Cpl. Brad Brown spotted the men and the helicopter landed and let out another trooper to assist with the arrest, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles