3 families homeless after trailer park fire

August 04, 1997

HANCOCK - An electrical malfunction caused smoke damage to three mobile homes Sunday morning, leaving three families homeless, according to Hancock Volunteer Fire Co. officials.

Firefighters used dry chemicals to extinguish a fire in a bedroom in one of the homes, said Hancock Volunteer Fire Co. Lt. Terry Appel.

The electricity entering the junction boxes caused malfunctions, he said.

The fire company responded at 8:12 a.m.

Appel said smoke was coming from three trailers upon his arrival at Fleming's Trailer Court off Pennsylvania Avenue.

Allegheny Power cut electricity in those homes because the electricity was bypassing the meters, Appel said.

The power will remain off for two or three days, he said.

The American Red Cross is assisting two of the families, who were not identified.

There were no injuries and no damage estimate reported.

The Herald-Mail Articles