Woman sentenced to year in hammer attack

July 22, 1997


Staff Writer

A Washington County circuit judge Tuesday sentenced a Hagerstown woman to one year in jail for attacking another woman with a hammer.

Although she pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, Holly Yvonne Geib, 33, told Judge John H. McDowell that she really didn't do it.

"I never had any problem with her," Geib said. "We've always been friends."

Pam Hooper, the victim of the Feb. 12 attack at her Frazier Road home near Smithsburg, told police that Geib shouted obscenities and struck her on the head with a hammer.


Hooper's boyfriend, John Southard, then went into the room and grabbed the hammer, according to Assistant State's Attorney Arthur Rozes.

Hooper was taken to Washington County Hospital where she was treated for a scalp wound and a mild concussion. Her medical bills totaled $1,418, an amount ordered as restitution.

"I can't explain it," Hooper told McDowell. She said Geib is the girlfriend of Charles Southard, the father of John Southard.

Hooper said she doesn't expect to see the restitution and isn't convinced that Geib will obey the requirements of her five-year probation.

Geib is serving time for a previous violation of probation.

That violation stemmed from a June 1994 incident in which Geib was found to have left two children, ages 2 and 3, in the care of a 12-year-old boy, sometimes for days at a time, court records said.

Geib also is on probation in a Washington County Circuit Court case in which she pleaded guilty to battery on the grandson of Charles Southard.

On Feb. 20, 1996, Washington County Circuit Judge Darrow Glaser sentenced Geib to 18 months in jail and suspended all but the 131 days she served awaiting trial.

Probation was set at two years in that case.

In exchange for the plea Tuesday, additional charges of first- and second-degree assault were dropped. McDowell originally imposed a five-year prison sentence but suspended four years.

"I promise that you will serve the five years in prison," McDowell said as he imposed the strict no-contact clause to be observed during the five years of probation.

The Herald-Mail Articles