YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsGun

Police probing Cadillac clue

July 10, 1997



Staff Writers

Hagerstown City Police Wednesday investigated reports that four people in a blue Cadillac displayed an automatic gun in the area where a man was found shot to death on Monday.

Police said they received a call that the people in the car had a gun, possibly an Uzi, in the 900 block of Lanvale Street at about 2:25 p.m.

About 30 minutes later, police stopped a car in the H.L. Mills parking lot on Baltimore Street. After searching the car, authorities let its occupants go.


The passengers were not happy about the stop.

"This is embarrassing," said Craig Smith, who said they had not even been near Lanvale Street. "Just because we were in a Cadillac."

Gemain Nixon, who was in the back seat, was more blunt: "I think it's an injustice to the black man. They pulled us over for no reason."

Hagerstown Police Sgt. Rick Johnson said the car was pulled over because both the vehicle and the number of occupants closely matched the description given to police.

Johnson released a picture of the shooting victim, Eric "Supreme" Williams, in the hope that someone would recognize him and come forward with information. Johnson said police have received preliminary results from the autopsy, but added that it was too soon to draw any conclusions.

Information from court records showed that the Brooklyn, N.Y., native had been in trouble with the law in Washington County.

Williams had been sentenced to 41/2 years in prison in 1995 for assault and false imprisonment of a girlfriend, according to court records.

He appeared before Washington County District Judge Noel Spence in January 1995 and received an 18-month sentence on each of three counts - assault, battery and false imprisonment, court records said.

Division of Correction officials said Williams was released from the Maryland Correctional Training Center near Hagerstown on April 1.

In the incident that led to his imprisonment, Williams confronted the woman at his apartment on Oct. 9, 1994, angered that she had left without his permission, according to court records.

He grabbed her and pulled her into a bedroom where he held an unloaded gun to her head and pulled the trigger several times, court records said.

Williams then tied her up and kept her confined in the apartment until the next afternoon, letting her loose only long enough to fix his meals, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles