Main traffic routes, such as Pennsylvania Avenue and North Cleveland Avenue, will be milled before repaving begins, removing an inch of blacktop for a new coat. Those roads may be rough and noisy to drive.
Some of the streets haven't been repaved in 20 to 30 years, Tissue said.
Streets being paved are usually closed to through traffic.
"No Parking" signs will be posted on streets one day before work begins, Tissue said. Vehicles not moved from the streets will be towed at the owners' expense.
The city engineering department has a joint contract with the Washington County Roads Department for L.W. Wolfe Enterprises Inc., of Myersville, Md., to do the project.
The city has budgeted $300,000 for the project. Wolfe's low bid for the project was $220,000. Two other companies have been contracted for about $25,000 to put traffic markings on the newly paved roads, Tissue said.
Property owners along the affected streets are encouraged by city officials to photograph their curbs and sidewalks before the resurfacing begins in case damage is done to the property during the resurfacing project.
Tissue said property owners along the streets scheduled for repavement next summer are encouraged to schedule any water and sewer upgrades or new gas service installation so it's done before next year's repavement project.
That keeps newly paved roads from being torn up, Tissue said.
Roads scheduled to be repaved this summer:
- North Cleveland Avenue: U.S. 40 to Jefferson Street.*
- West Baltimore Street: Summit Avenue to South Prospect Street.
- Water Street: North Mont Valla Avenue to Park Avenue.
- The Terrace: Northern Avenue north to the dead end.
- Calvert Terrace: Mealey Parkway to Potomac Heights Avenue.
- Pennsylvania Avenue: North Prospect Street to Park Lane.*
- East Wilson Boulevard: Oak Street to Frederick Street.
- Key Avenue: Church Street to Key Circle.
- Wabash Avenue: North Mont Valla Avenue to Park Avenue.
- Ravenswood Drive: Frederick Street to Kenwood Drive.
- Kenwood Drive: East Wilson Boulevard to Kenly Avenue.
- Kenly Avenue: East First Street to East Wilson Boulevard.
- West Howard Street: South Potomac Street to Virginia Avenue.
- West Antietam Street: South Potomac Street to Summit Avenue.
- Maryland Avenue: West Wilson Boulevard to Downsville Road.
- Market House parking lot.
Roads scheduled to be repaved next summer:
- Charles Street: North Potomac Street to Pennsylvania Avenue.*
- Chestnut Street: West Wilson Boulevard to Reynolds Avenue.*
- Clarkson Avenue: Pennsylvania Avenue to the dead end.
- Fairchild Avenue: Pennsylvania Avenue to Beechwood Drive.
- West First Street: South Potomac Street to Guilford Avenue.
- Garlinger Avenue: South Potomac Street to Summit Avenue.
- Garrett Street: Spruce Street to Guilford Avenue.
- Marion Street: Sherman Avenue to Noland Drive.
- Oxford Circle: West Franklin Street to Wakefield Road.
- Potomac Avenue: CSX railroad track to Northern Avenue.*
- Reynolds Avenue: Chestnut Street to Virginia Avenue.*
- Sherman Avenue: Marion Street to the city line.
- Sumans Avenue: West North Avenue to Charles Street.*
- Surrey Avenue: Guilford Avenue to Virginia Avenue.*
- Prospect Avenue: Hamilton Boulevard to Oak Hill Avenue.
- Hamilton Lane: Charles Street to Forest Drive.
- Hagerstown City Police parking lot.
*Roads will be milled or partially milled before being resurfaced.