MAUGANSVILLE - Fire destroyed a barn early Sunday morning, but no one was hurt, according to the state fire marshal's office.
Allen Ward, a spokesman for the agency, said the fire started as a result of spontaneous combustion of hay on the second floor of the two-story barn at 14620 Greencastle Pike. The fire began just before 2 a.m., he said.
The barn was valued at $190,000. Ward said all animals were able to escape unharmed.
The fire was discovered by the daughter of the barn's owner, Arlan Martin. She awoke, smelled smoke, looked out and saw the barn on fire, Ward said.
Fire companies from Maugansville, Funkstown, Long Meadow, Williamsport, Halfway, Clear Spring, Mercersburg, Pa., and Greencastle, Pa., assisted on the blaze.